Fragment: Stronger Than Me
- Everybody 'knows' what a mother should be - Love & Toil
- "Stronger than Me", Amy Winehouse - ideas of expectations working both ways (a woman telling a man he should be stronger than her)
- Dream about my mother - ideas of vulnerability
- Instruction based restrictions (must keep singing song till end of time on repeat, restricted physcially by cable ties on hands and feet, cannot stop doing sit ups.
- Using visual material from video 'Mother Nature: Between Man and Child' to look at gentle/brutal/disturbing images of motherhood (https://www.nowness.com/series/mother-nature/between-man-and-child-natasja-fourie?autoplay)
'You should be stronger than me
You been here seven years longer than me
Don't you know you supposed to be the man
Not pale in comparison to who you think I am
You always wanna talk it through - I don't care!
Don't I always have to comfort you when I'm there
But that's what I need you to do - stroke my hair!
Cause Ive forgotten all of young love's joy
Feel like a lady, and you my lady boy'
- Cable ties perhaps too many erotic associations
- Exhaustion of audible breath with song
- Distortion of body
- Seeing muscles working